- International Airfare/train ticket
- Travel insurance, health insurances.
- Items of a personal nature such as laundry, drinks, camera or video fees at any sites etc.
- Camera fees
- Tips to porters, camping team, driver, guide, etc.
- Any extra costs incurred due to extension/change of the itinerary, because of natural calamities, flight delays, road blocks, vehicle breakdown etc. factors beyond the control.
- What is not mentioned as included
About The Chadar Trek – Himalaya Photography Tour:
Ladakh is famed for its high passes, brackish water lakes, a stunning lunar landscape, a Buddhist culture warped in time, deep blue endless skies, and a landscape that is larger than life. It is an adventure seekers paradise. Many have said Ladakh is the most beautiful place in the world, but we seek a beauty even more surreal and attempt one of the most celebrated, difficult and exquisite trek of the region. We will walk on a frozen river bed, camp near caves along the way and fight the twin difficulties of extreme cold and altitude to get the unique ‘Chaddar’ experience, the walk over the frozen Zanskar River. A route patronized by the people of the Zanskar valley for hundreds of years, as their only contact with the outside world for trade, during the 8 months long freezing winter.
- Unique experience of trekking on the frozen Zanskar river.
- Amazing scenery, wild gorges and frozen waterfalls.
- Countryside trekking hospitality at its best.
- Type of Tour : Treks & Walks
- Grade : Tough
- Maximum Altitude : 3800m/12,468ft.
- Tour Duration : 13 Nights
- Trek Duration : 09 Nights/10 Days
- Tour Dates : January, 15-28, 2018
- Reporting Time & Venue : 09:00 hrs at Leh airport
- Dispersal Time & Venue : Before 9:00 hrs from Hotel in Leh
- Food Plan : All meals including lunch on day 01 to breakfast on day 14.
- Travel & Transport : Transfers and sightseeing in SUV/MUV
- Accommodation (Nights) : Hotel – 04; Camping – 07; Guest House -02
Itinerary of Chadar Trek – Himalaya Photo Tour
Day 01: Arrival in Leh (3500m/11,484 ft.)
Report to the hotel by 12.00 noon. The day is spent resting at the hotel and a leisurely orientation walk in the evening in Leh market. To aid acclimatization it is necessary to have plenty of water along with rest. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Leh.
Day 02: Leh sightseeing
2nd day of Chadar trek – Himalaya photography Tour is for taking in the sights of Leh and to use this as an opportunity to acclimatize further. We visit Thiksey Monastery (one of the most visited and photogenic monastery in Ladakh which houses one of the largest Buddha statue, the 40 ft. tall Maitreya, the Buddha of Future) and Stok Palace (the place where the current royal family lives). Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Leh.
Day 03: Drive to Tilat Sumdo (63 km.; 1½ hrs); Trek to Bakula Caves (3180m/10,434 ft.; 2 ½ hrs)
3rd day of Chadar trek – Himalaya photography Tour, after breakfast we drive to Tilat Sumdo. Just before Tilat Sumdo is Chilling, one of the most famous villages in Ladakh and known as a center for crafts, especially for its metalwork. In the afternoon meet your trekking crew and prepare for the trek. After lunch start our trek from Tilat Sumdo to Bakula Caves which is 2 ½ hrs, along the frozen river.
Over the next few days of Chadar trek – Himalaya photography Tour, we will traverse a landscape of frozen waterfalls where the harsh winters have preserved the traditions and cultures of the local people in a frozen Shangri-La. The Zanskar Valley is the most isolated of the Trans-Himalaya valleys and that true sense of remoteness will become all the more evident as we approach our camp. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Bakula Caves.
Day 04: Bakula Caves – Paldar Sumdo (3220m/10,565 ft.; 6–7 hrs)
On 4th day of Chadar trek – Himalaya photography Tour, after breakfast, we trek 6-7 hrs, to reach Paldar Sumdo. We trek along the edges of the frozen river, through a narrow mountain gorge. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Paldar Sumdo.
Day 05: Paldar Sumdo – Dibyokma (3000m/9843 ft.; 4–5 hrs)
5ht day of Chadar trek – Himalaya photography Tour, Post breakfast we start our journey towards Dibyokma it will take us around 4-5 hrs of walking. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Dibyokma.
Day 06: Dibyokma – Nerak Pullu (3800m/12,468 ft.; 5–6 hrs)
On 6th day of Chadar trek – Himalaya photography Tour, We head back to the river and walk along a canyon. A trek of 5-6 hrs through tremendous canyons which is inaccessible in any other season, leads us to Nerak Pullu. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Nerak Pullu.
Day 07: NerakPullu to Lingshed (3800 m / 12468 ft; 6–7 hrs)
On 7th day Chadar trek – Himalaya photography Tour, we leave the river after an hour today, to follow a narrow gorge to Lingshed village. Around Nerak is probably the most dangerous area on the Chadar, but this is not the only reason we leave earlier then normal. After up to two hours of trekking we turn off the river, and start following a side stream up a valley which shows so many ibex and blue sheep trails it seems hard to believe. We are going higher today, and you will feel it. Add fresh snow, and it will be harder still. On arrival stay in a guesthouse/ camp.
Day 08: Rest day at Lingshed
Day 09: Lingshed to NerakPullu (3000 m / 9843 ft; 5 hrs)
On 9th day of Chadar trek – Himalaya photography Tour, the return journey starts and we retrace our steps to NerakPullu leaving the poignant beauty of the monastery, children behind and carrying the memories with us. Along the way we bid adieu to the ibex and blue ship and reach NerakPullu.
Day 10: Nerak Pullu – Dibyokma (4–5 hrs)
On day 10th day of Chadar trek – Himalaya photography Tour, We walk back to Dibyokma. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Dibyokma.
Day 11: Dibyokma – Paldar Sumdo (4–5 hrs)
On 11th day of Chadar trek – Himalaya photography Tour, We walk further to Paldar Sumdo. Dinner and overnight stay at camp in Paldar Sumdo.
Day 12: Paldar Sumdo – Tilat Sumdo (6–7 hrs); Drive to Leh (63 km.; 1½ hrs)
Our last days of Chadar trek – Himalaya photography Tour, we walk to Tilat Sumdo to the road head. We cross the familiar territory our mind filled with the experiences of the last week of walking through this enchanted land. At Tilat Sumdo we get into our waiting vehicles to Leh for a much deserved bath and some good rest in warm cozy rooms. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Leh.
Day 13: Excursion to Khardungla & back (5602m/18,380 ft.; 37 km; 2 hrs one way)
After breakfast, the group sets off to visit Khardungla pass (5602m/18,380 ft.), the world’s highest motorable pass. The snow clad view of Leh & Nubra valley is to be seen to be believed. After a photography session we return back to Leh. Dinner and overnight stay at hotel in Leh.
Day 14: Final departure
We check out of our hotel before 9.00 am depending upon our flight schedule.
Tour Notes Chadar trek – Himalaya photography Tour:
- Age Group: Minimum 18 years completed.
- Travel: All the Delhi – Leh flights are scheduled in the early morning hours hence it is advisable to fly to Delhi a day in advance.
- Fitness: Chadar trek – Himalaya photography Tour involves walking for 5-6 hours daily at an average pace, but we recommended this trek for people with an extremely good level of physical fitness. The highest altitude that we attain on this tour is 3500m/11,484 ft. We do not recommend this tour to people with chronic problems like epilepsy and those related to blood pressure or heart or diabetes.
(min. 4 People)
(or private min. 2 People)
per person in a double room
February 1-14th, 2020
14 days/13 nights
landscape, Villages, mountains, culture, people, wildlife
- Transfer from/to airport upon arrival and departure
- all acomondations
- Leh: In a Classic category hotel on twin sharing basis.
- On the Trek: In a camping tent on twin sharing basis.
- Note: The rooms at Hotel Mahey are centrally heated with running hot water.
- Meals as indicated (B-breakfast, L-lunch, D-dinner)
- Private transportation + fuel,
- Complimentary Sack, cap & duffel bag.
- Monument visit fees
- Chaddar entry Permit fee
- Necessary porterage and camping equipment on the trek.
- Hire charges for Sleeping Bags.
- One experienced Tour Leader and local Guide(s).
- Full-time services of your English speaking local guide
- Professional Photographic Guides Dean Tatooles and Tim Vollmer
International Airfare/train ticket
You will organise your own travel to and from Leh
Tim has devoted his life to photography. Photography has been his long-held hobby and great passion. Tim has always felt himself drawn to the power and beauty he finds in nature. Tim has been leading photo tours and workshops in Iceland and many different countries over the years. He has had the world as his workplace. He is Photographing everything from the dramatic landscape in Iceland, to the native people in the remote corners of the world and the culture that are unique to each country. His journeys have taken him around the world in pursuit of memorable travel experiences and the creation of compelling images. His work has been featured in international publications. His images and stories are shared on various internet outlets. As a driven artist, professional, entrepreneur and an adventurer, Tim is eager to share his passion, knowledge in photography and travel through the tours he designed on his own, or through his partnership with professional photographers from around the globe. Tim and his family lived 11 years in Iceland. Now they are based in Czech Republic.